Brussels in the Middle Ages
18th June 2018 at 7:30pm
Treurenberg 10, 1000 Bruxelles
Dinner optional -- final prices TBD, probably: € 45pp (members), €50 (non-members)
Ask us for menu options
+32 471 874 779
The Cambridge Society of Belgium is taking you back in time to discover Brussels in the Middle Ages.
How much do we know about the history of Brussels, or Broekzele as it used to be known, and how it quickly grew to become an important city in the Low Countries with the architecture to show for it. Unfortunately, not many remnants of those times are very visible in today’s Brussels. The Cambridge Society of Belgium has therefore provided access to two locations rarely available to the public, as part of its next event which is all about mediaeval Brussels.
Historical consultant to the official tourism office Visit Brussels, Roel Jacobs will tell us about the history of Brussels in the Middle Ages. He has written more than ten books on the history of the European capital. The Hungarian Cultural Institute, Balassi Institute, is so gracious to open its doors for us, so we can hear Roel Jacobs’ lecture in a room connected to mediaeval Brussels, since part of it is the original 13th century city wall. We will also be able to bring an exclusive visit to the Brussels cathedral deanery, where a watch tower from the same city wall is preserved.
All members, guests and invitees are welcome. Preference is always given to full members and on a first-come first served basis.
- 7pm onwards members and guests will be welcome.
- 7:30pm, Roel will give his presentation. We look forward to your questions.
- Around 9:15pm we will commence dinner in a nearby restaurant. Those not able to attend the dinner will be free to leave.
If you wish to join for dinner with the speaker afterwards please let us know and we will send you the menu options.
Please confirm your attendance ASAP before Friday 15th June. Preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning who, how many, membership status, amount payable (or paid) and for what.
Payment & Price
- Those staying for talk and the dinner (approximate pricing, final TBD):
- Member price (including partner) = €45
- Non-member (guest) price = €50
- Those staying only for the talk:
- Member price (including partner) = free!
- Non-member (guest) price = €5 (possible to pay on the door but do let us know first)